• Välkommen till ett uppdaterat Klocksnack.se

Efter ett digert arbete är nu den största uppdateringen av Klocksnack.se någonsin klar att se dagens ljus.
    Forumet kommer nu bli ännu snabbare, mer lättanvänt och framför allt fyllt med nya funktioner.

Vi har skapat en tråd på diskussionsdelen för feedback och tekniska frågeställningar.

Tack för att ni är med och skapar Skandinaviens bästa klockforum!

/Hook & Leben

Q & A med Jean-Claude Biver

IlGattopardo

Cartier
2-Faktor
Medlemmar som bidrog med frågor: Jag, @Kugghjul, @yonsson, @nissehult, @Andy7750, @903lew

4154d370cdaa8c4f418a3e44a0928618cc738b03.jpg

After the Swiss luxury watch manufacturers were overtaken technically in the quartz revolution, they have created a demand for their products through soft factors. The watches are beautiful and very well made; they feel wonderful to touch with your hands. Through these product features and clever marketing, the Swiss luxury watch manufacturers enchanted many parts of the world's rich people into wanting their products. How will they do to be able to continue this in the future, and how can they further refine this mix of craftsmanship and storytelling?

I believe that the Swiss Luxury Watch Manufacturers have entered a few years ago the marketing world of Luxury. They have learned not only to sell rationality (heritage, tradition, quality, etc.) but also the irrationality. Which are the emotions, beauty, dreams, status symbols etc. I believe like in the luxury world in general that if we can continue building dreams and emotions on real values like quality, tradition, culture and heritage, we will have no problem to sell our brands in the future.

Several newspapers are saying the Swiss watch industry is in trouble, is this true and if so what is the solution?

Newspapers love bad news as bad news attracts more attention than good news. It's a real pity for consumers, because good news in principle is giving you hope, ambition, vision and courage. While bad news is on the contrary making you being careful, afraid of the future etc. So to be frank with you, I believe that our industry has entered a certain consolidation period after so many years with constant growth. Our industry has also learned that you cannot rely for more than 20% on one customer (Chinese Customers have counted for several brand for nearly 50% of their turnover…) We have also learned that success should make you modest and humble and not arrogant. And last but not least we have learned that the customer is the King, not the brand !!! As a conclusion I would like to say that we will be stronger once we are back to growth and in that sense the actual period might be remembered as “good” period. Concerning the Connected Watch, it might create some trouble in the lower price segment of quartz watches, but not at all to the upper end price segment which represents the majority of the Swiss Watch Exports.

What do you foresee to be the future of the industry, further consolidation into groups or diversification into individual brands? Do you believe the industry will continue to move upscale by raising prices or will there be a correction (lowered prices)?

The consolidation into groups is not a typical watch phenomena, but is a general trend of today. As this trend is going on, we will see more and more niche brands offering what big corporation or groups cannot or don’t want to offer. Therefore I see a lot of opportunities for niche brands, provided they can maintain their quality, their service and their niche.

In an interview with Hodinkee you stated that the Swiss watch industry makes its best pieces while under stress. Do you believe we are in such a period and if this is the case, what do we have to look forward to?

A stress period always helps to become humble, to become dynamic and innovative. In that sense the stress periods can be positive, while one would think that they are exclusively negative.

How important are websites/forums like Klocksnack.se for brands and the watch industry?

They are very important as the provide, authentic useful and objective information to collectors and fans. They act like an antidote to the marketing campaigns and help promote what is real and authentic. The problem only starts when these websites or forum are no longer objective or no longer well informed about the reality and the truth.

According to previous interviews, you left Blancpain right before the 40mm BP FF was released. Were you involved with the development of the 21-century Blancpain Fifty Fathoms?

Yes, the Concept 2000 (which was launched in 1999) was done with my team that left with me and joined later in 2004 Hublot.

Of all the watches you have developed which model are you most proud of and why?

It’s certainly the Bigger Bang All Black (which is an All Black Chrono Tourbillon) and it's the watch that has brought me the most of success, luck and happiness.

One of your goals was to make an affordable tourbillon for "the masses", will there be other complications with the same approach?

TAG Heuer has three commands: 1. To be Avant Garde; 2. To be the “affordable” Swiss Luxury watchbrand and 3. To have a perceived value at least double the retail price. There is no reason why we should not pursue those three fundamental messages of the Brand.

Many customers scream after smaller and thinner watches but the industry seems to make bigger and bigger watches. Why?

The industry cannot satisfy every customer, but certainly most of them. I cannot see any brand that does not offer next to its bigger sizes also some more regular or smaller sizes.

Price and release date for the new Autavia?

Autavia will retail 4800 CHF and will be released in May or June 2017.

You have worked with many great brands but when are we going to see your own personal name on the face of a watch?

I will never put my name on any watch, because I believe that on a dial one should only have either the name of the brand or the name of a watchmaker. And I am neither a brand nor a watchmaker.

-
Thank you Mr. Biver!
-

Senast redigerad av en moderator:

Oniel

Panerai
Verkar som en oerhört sympatisk människa som verkligen älskar sitt jobb och allt med klockor! Samt att kunden är i fokus! Annars tar man sig inte denna tiden för att svara på frågor sådär! :)

Grymt av dig också @IlGattopardo :)

yonsson

Kikuchiyo
Pledge Member
2-Faktor
Sjukt kul! Jag tog framförallt med mig 3 svar,
1: Det känns troligt att Tag heuer kommer släppa flera prisvärda klockor med komplikationer.
2: Yes, han var involverad i Concept 2000.
3: Listpris och datum för Autavia.
:)

Tycker han svarar väldigt frikostigt och varken politiskt eller avvisande. Väldigt kul att han delar med sig av sina tankar på branschen i stort.

Dixie

Audemars
2-Faktor
Jäklar va skoj! Jag blir helt enkelt glad av hela grejen. Kul att han svarade och att hans svarade ordentligt. Händer mycket skoj på Tag Heuer rent generellt tycker jag. Ska bli skoj att se vad framtiden innehåller gällande komplikationer hos dem (hölls iaf öppet ;) )

Topp