• Välkommen till ett uppdaterat Klocksnack.se

Efter ett digert arbete är nu den största uppdateringen av Klocksnack.se någonsin klar att se dagens ljus.
    Forumet kommer nu bli ännu snabbare, mer lättanvänt och framför allt fyllt med nya funktioner.

Vi har skapat en tråd på diskussionsdelen för feedback och tekniska frågeställningar.

Tack för att ni är med och skapar Skandinaviens bästa klockforum!

/Hook & Leben

The "non-swede" thread

supersu

Omega
I had a bit of an incident the other day in a Facebook group in which I was made aware of the fact that speaking English in a Swedish group can be bothersome to some delicate individuals. As I'm American, I'm not about to stop speaking English.

So, here's a thread for international collectors who have through circumstances found themselves enjoying this great hobby in this great, albeit cold, country.

If you feel comfortable, please do tell us what country your from, and how you've ended up here!

I grew up in the Midwest United States, and I moved here 6 years ago to be with my mother and her husband, who came here as professors at a University.

Technically I'm not Swedish, but I don't think that really makes a difference in my case as I was born and grew up in Sweden to British and American parents.

In any case, good initiative!

supersu

Omega
Technically I'm not Swedish, but I don't think that really makes a difference in my case as I was born and grew up in Sweden to British and American parents.

In any case, good initiative!
Interesting mix! Sweden is a weird place to end up in for that mix. Then again, my mother is Greek, her husband is Cypriot, and my father is American.

supersu

Omega
And here I was, thinking that all Swedes thought so highly of their english speaking abilities... :rolleyes:
Anyway, I'm pretty sure noone's bothered on KS if you post in english, in fact we have several members who do! Fire away!
Some people tend to get annoyed with people who do not speak the language of their country, which I can completely understand. Sometimes it makes me feel inconsiderate to assume people will just adjust to speaking English with me, though I do speak fluent Swedish. I guess some people just aren't as open as others!

supersu

Omega
50% Suomi and 50% Hökarängen.......100% swede.... @supersu great to have you. Any reflections on how swedes differ from americans when it comes to collecting watches?
Thanks :) To be honest, I have no idea. I left the US 6 years ago when I was 16, which was long before I had the means to collect watches. I would imagine that there are more people there that specialize in many more types than what is here. Americans are patriotic, and therefore it stands to reason that there are people who collect on Hamilton watches, for instance. There are more people with more money there too, so I assume there are more people collecting ultra high end pieces, like vintage Patek perpetual callenders. I don't know for sure though.

M.B.

Cartier
Bumping this as I randomly noticed it. I'm on the same boat as you, @supersu .
I've been in Sweden for almost 3 years now. I can read Swedish and follow conversations perfectly, the problem is that Swedes really do have great English and are comfortable with it - they just naturally jump to it out of courtesy when they see me trying. While I appreciate the kindness it also holds my language skills and confidence back.

supersu

Omega
Bumping this as I randomly noticed it. I'm on the same boat as you, @supersu .
I've been in Sweden for almost 3 years now. I can read Swedish and follow conversations perfectly, the problem is that Swedes really do have great English and are comfortable with it - they just naturally jump to it out of courtesy when they see me trying. While I appreciate the kindness it also holds my language skills and confidence back.
It's either that, or they get mad when you speak English. That reaction is much lower though.

My girlfriend and I have an interesting linguistic aspect to our relationship. Usually, she speaks swedish to me, and I speak English to her. It's so fluid at this point that I literally can't remember who said what in either language hahaha. We also get weird looks because people don't understand the dynamic. It feels very natural for us, and I enjoy it.

Some people tend to get annoyed with people who do not speak the language of their country, which I can completely understand. Sometimes it makes me feel inconsiderate to assume people will just adjust to speaking English with me, though I do speak fluent Swedish. I guess some people just aren't as open as others!

Reminds me of French ppl ; )

Topp